PGConf.DE 2023 - The Last Hurrah of "Don't Do This"?
Today at PGConf.DE 2023 in Essen I gave for the third and final time the talk titled "Don't Do This", inspired by the legendary "Don't Do This" PostgreSQL wiki page. We looked at some common mistakes and misconceptions that Postgres users can face - and showed possible ways to undo them or workarounds. This talk, as it turns out, is perhaps too packed with content, and will now be retired. However, it will resurface in a significantly different form at PGConf NYC 2023 in October, so keep an eye out for that!
Some of the things discussed:
- Bad SQL habits
- Correct types for data storage
- (Sub-)Partitioning (and how to get it wrong)
- Table inheritance (and how to undo it)
- Connections (number of, and properly handling)
- Security issues (unsafe configurations and usage)
Link to talk slides: vyruss.org/computing/slides/pgconfde2023_dont_do_this.pdf
Many thanks to the organisers of PGConf.DE for an awesome European event.